How do I date my vintage Omega?

One of the questions that frequently gets asked is what is how can I date my Omega watch.  Omega watches carry a serial number either on the movement for vintage models up (up to around 1980) or etched on the outside of the case for later models.  For vintage models this is translates to the production date of the movement which can differ to the subsequent date when the watch was sold so it can only be used as an approximate tool only.  In most cases though, the serial number provides the most accurate way to date the watch unless it also comes with the additional dealer signed paperwork.  The following  table can be used to date the watch within 1-2 years.

Note: After 1998 dating becomes more difficult as the serial numbers used no longer correspond with the date of manufacture.

Omega Serial Numbers

Omega Serial Numbers

Got a Question? We'd love to hear from you, add a comment!

Share:

Comments

1. Vlasta Zihla says

Hi, I would like to repair my omega watch and first I´m looking for an information about it. I have the omega wrist watch and inside on the movenent is engraved number 6184823. It means that first is 6……, then the watch is from the year 1923? I dont know whether the stainless steel case is origin, because there is not any number either any logo of omega.
    Thanks for your advice

2. Geoff Lovell says

Is this the same company I bought two solid gold Omegas a few years back, however the gentleman was I think your dad and I visited him and you! in Christchurch.
    One and the same?
    Best Wishes.
    P.S. I still have the watches, I bought both as I could not make my mind up!

3. Jacquie Owen says

I have my grandmother’s gold omega watch – sadly not working. Serial no is 5907362. Does it have a value? Is it worth me trying to repair it?

4. Draza Chuk says

I have a 18kt gold man’s omega deville automatic watch with date bought in 1972. Where is the serial number located? Since it is 43 years old any idea of value

5. paul reeve says

I have been handed down an omega watch. I do not know the age. It is an Omega Geneve. It has a cream face with no date hand on it. The information on the back cover is 131.018SP and on the movement it says 17 jewels and is stamped 24051954 but nothing else except the omega watch name. It has a chrome or stainless body and back. it has a straight side with no chamfer. Could you date it from this information please if possible.

6. rofi martin says

hi i have omega not been serviced recently it is running biautifully with 18ct solid gold case and with 9ct solid gold strap.on the movement say:OMEGA WATCH Co,SEVENTEEN,SWISS,JEWELS, with 212 underned simbol of omega ,serial no:12980907.and in side of the cap say 48921 DENNISON,MADE IN ENGLAND,gold mack 18ct,ALD 525204.is my omega got value?

• says

All vintage Omega watches have value and yours will be significant given it’s a 18ct gold model. We can’t give a valuation here sadly. The number 212 you have quoted is incorrect. This should be the calibre number but 212 wasn’t an Omega calibre, it’s probably more like 267 or 268.

7. Nikolas says

My watch it is Omega and the serial number is 11122070 the cover on the back of the watch is 13322 Dennison made + 6129 Lookin at your chart of date serial numbers my wathc was made in 1895 can you confirm this is true please

Kind regard,

Nikolas

8. Brian webster says

Hi there I would just like to find out a bit more about my watch. It’s omega with stainless steel straps and case. It has blue hands and 1t jewels. The serial number 9502502 and on the back of the dial, but it also has 10331728 on the back case, I not sure which one is the serial number. Could you tell me a bit more about it please. I can send photos if needed thank you.

9. David says

My father recently had is Omega watch serviced, not sure where but it is working perfectly fine. My question is what type of Omega is it based on the following: Omega Automatic … but where you might find the type is a company Logo (CCC) and on the back is “For Loyal Service … Continental Can Company of Canada 1975″. So presume the watch if opened would provide a serial number around 1975 but how to tell what “type” it is? It has a “day” option and one pull out to change the date / time.

10. Daniel says

Hi Robin! I have an old 18ct Omega watch that I’ve been trying to identify. The serial number stamped on the back of the movement is 22057971. As far as I understand it’s a caliber 601. But how can I find out the exact model name?

11. Chris Boyle says

I have an old omega mens wristwatch which the serial number suggests it is around 1944/5 , i cannot find any info which model it may be .
    Any suggestions gladly received ,
    Thanks,
    Chris .

12. louise says

Hi I’ve just bought a 9ct gold ladies omega watch. It has a hinged opening back and inside are the numbers 61856 and 8238074 can you tell me anything about it please

13. tony says

i have a sea master cosmic 18k serial starts 166050 – pos 1701 then-107 bit worn as its 18 k, works perfect in good condition, winder replaced i think as no omega symbol on it, any idea on value and are you interested ?

regards, tony rankin

14. Pippa Langlois says

Hello, I have a 1940’s Omega pilot’s watch that belonged to my pilot father Roy B Langlois (shot down in 1941, POW in Sagan, Stalag Luft 3, he was 60th through the tunnel in The Great Escape, went on the Long March and was liberated in 1945. My question is : the watch is marked on the back, outside A.M. 6B/159 A3459. Inside the back of the case it is marked 10547019. On the movement itself it is marked 16 jewels 9742746. Can you tell me the approximate date of manufacture please and when do you think it might have been issued? Many thanks.

• says

9 mil. serial numbers were manufactured from 1939 onwards. It sounds like you have more accurate information to date the watch yourself given he had the watch when he was shot down in 1941? Somewhere between 1939 and 1941 is as accurate as it gets with dating watches I’m afraid in the absence of detailed paperwork. AM 6B/159 denotes RAF issue so 1940 would be a good guess.

• Pippa Langlois says

Many thanks. This is not the original watch he was wearing in 1941 when shot down (that one was taken off him by the gestapo in St Gilles prison). Could this one date to 1945 do you think as a replacement when he returned after the war? What do the numbers mean on the inside of the back of the case, please?

• says

1945 is possible. Much of the pre war movement stock was used until around 1950. The case numbers don’t mean much unfortunately as they pre-date Omega’s case numbering system. It will just be a serial number of production but not one than can be used to date the watch. The only way to accurately date issue would be to consult the Government/Air Minstry’s records of the time.

15. Gareth Jones says

Hi,
    I have an 18 carat gold gent’s wristwatch
    Calibre R178
    Movement. 9130254
    What does this tell me about the watch?

It hasn’t been serviced in a while and I have been advised to send it to Omega in Switzerland
    Is there another option?

• says

Hi Gareth, you have most of the info there. 9130254 is the serial number as shown in the article this dates to circa 1939. Calibre R178 is the movement calibre number. You will probably find a case number in the back as well. You can send the watch to us for servicing, please contact us on sales@poshtime.com for a quote.

16. Gareth Jones says

Hi, I’ve been given an Omega Automatic Geneve, i’m trying to date it and find any info. The number on the back cover plate is 166041 and stamped on the movement is 31443991 plus 565 (which i understand to be the movement).
    Any info given would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    Gareth

• says

Hi Gareth, all the info you need is in the blog, you just have to read it. The 2 relevant articles are How to my vintage Omega which you’ve commented on here and A guide to ‘Omega vintage watch reference codes’.

Ask a Question or Share Your Comments!